As technology becomes more integral to construction professionals and businesses, mobile phones have become essential tools to getting the job done on time and on budget. Today’s mobile devices do everything from taking project pictures and tracking assets or workers to communicating in the field with two-way radios. In fact, nearly 93% of contractors use smartphones on the job site, according to the 2018 JBKnowledge ConTech report, in large part because they enable easy access to mobile applications that streamline business, such as daily-reporting and photo-documentation apps.
Top of the Line Features
Durable smartphones are crucial for contractors who need tools that are as tough as the sites they work on but nimble enough to handle all of today’s demands. According to VDC Research, using rugged mobile devices instead of off-the-shelf consumer devices in the workplace can save an average of 46% on overall total cost of mobility. Enter the new DuraForce PRO 2 by Kyocera. Unlike other heavy, bulky and more expensive devices, the DuraForce PRO 2 is an affordable, ruggedized Android smartphone built with protection from the inside out to help construction workers get the job done. DuraForce PRO 2 delivers some key features to help on the construction site:
Rugged, waterproof and drop-proof. Certified IP68 dustproof and waterproof, the devices come with military standard 810G protections against dust, drop, shock, vibration, high altitude, humidity, icing and freezing rain, temperature extremes and more.
- Sapphire Shield. The DuraForce PRO 2’s touch screen is built for durability with Kyocera’s proprietary Sapphire Shield display, a feature exclusive to Verizon Wireless. Second only to diamonds in mineral hardness, sapphire is virtually scratch-proof and provides outstanding protection against impact damage. It also delivers exceptional protection from damaging real-world scenarios, ranging from keys in a pocket to a face-first drop onto rocks, where independent lab tests show it to be far less likely to break than leading strengthened touch-panel glass.
- Numerous camera options. Choose from a variety of photo and video options for capturing essential project data: 13MP camera plus 5MP front-facing camera, Super Wide View 4K Action Camera for capturing a variety of shots. Underwater Mode enables use of the phone’s hard keys for taking photos, recording video or zooming in and out, all while underwater. Smartphones should never be used in salt water, however, since it’s highly corrosive.
- Stronger security with enterprise-level connectivity. The DuraForce PRO 2 is “Android Enterprise Recommended” and meets elevated enterprise requirements validated by Google. Fingerprint security sensor on the phone’s power button for biometric authentication and FIDO application support allows simpler, stronger authentication for popular mPayment/mCommerce.
- Push-to-talk-ready. A large dedicated side button, loud dual front speakers, powerful battery, support for such PTT accessories as headsets and Remote Speaker Mics keep instant communication at the ready, even in the loudest environments. And one-touch PTT+ support over Wi-Fi and LTE means expanded communications coverage.
Features such as these are exactly what construction pros need in the field. Just ask Lacey Clement from Energy One America, a company offering a broad service portfolio of insulation products, crawl space renovations, and mold preventative solutions for home and businesses with the largest foam insulating fleet in the Southeastern United States.
"As a growing company, we depend greatly on communication. We purchased the Kyocera DuraForce PRO 2 and haven’t looked back since!" says Clement, who as Administrative Manager at Energy One America manages the communication equipment for the organization. "The DuraForce PRO 2 is now a company standard for all field technicians in all of our branches."
Technology Your Crew Can Count On
The DuraForce PRO 2 works with the VIBES Modular System, an interchangeable collection of accessories that easily snap to the back of the phone with the VIBES Multipurpose Case offering extended features and improved productivity. A few of the first VIBES accessories are:
- Spike® Smart Laser Measurement Tool. A smart laser measurement solution for all trade and construction professionals. The Spike device, Spike mobile app, Spike Cloud, and Kyocera DuraForce PRO 2 smartphone work together to change how you measure and estimate projects. Spike allows you to measure an object simply by taking a photo with your Kyocera DuraForce PRO 2 and Spike device. From that photo, you can capture real-time measurements, including height, width, area, and the distance between two points.
- Extended Battery Packs and Wireless Extended Battery Pack. Thin, lightweight, rechargeable battery packs (3000mAh and 6000mAh) provide 2-3x the battery life. The battery pack is hot-swappable as well, allowing users to quickly clip on the external battery during use for extra power when needed. The 6000mAH battery pack is available with Qi wireless 5-watt charging for even more flexibility.
- Conference Speaker. This waterproof IPX7, lightweight, carbon fiber Bluetooth speaker uses a built-in microphone to support two-way calling. The speaker features 10 to 12 hours of listening time and 120 hours of standby time. A patent-pending vibration-powered sound technology, indoor and outdoor equalizer, and 15mm custom digital signal processors all provide pristine audio clarity making conference calls possible on noisy work sites. Crystal clear music can help with productivity as well!
- Secure Pocket Clip and Plate. This convenient wearable clip fastens the device to a shirt or belt and securely locks the device in place for easy access at job sites.
Even more VIBES accessories are planned for the future including a Multibay extended battery pack charger and a mechanism to retain headset and RSM.
With new offerings in ruggedized mobile devices, it’s important to research manufacturers and select proven technology to help ensure reliability and reduce your company’s overall cost of ownership. With over a decade of innovation, Kyocera has been a pioneer of ruggedized devices. The combination of DuraForce PRO 2’s rugged design and expansive feature set, plus a two-year manufacturer’s standard warranty, makes it an ideal fit for construction professionals to get the job done right.
"The device allows us to have eyes and ears on all job sites in all markets, minimizing operational and communication challenges," says Clement.
Get in Touch
To learn more about Kyocera and DuraForce PRO 2, come meet us at World of Concrete 2019 in Booth #N2179 or visit us on: